The Fated Sunset- Book Review

When a friend of mine told me that the release of a book titled ‘The Fate Sunset’  was imminent, I was more interested in the fact that it had an extremely artistic and aesthetically appealing hardback cover until I realised that he was the author. That being said, this is as objective a review as I could get myself to write. 

The Fated Sunset is about Lester, a WWI veteran who reaches crossroads when his past with a man named Silva- replete with blood curdling crimes- begins to haunt his present and potential future. The plot is constantly engaging, never dormant and you just can’t skip a few pages and expect to get a clear picture of what’s happening in the story. 

On the face of it, the book might come across as having its plot at the pivot around which it revolves, given that its set against the backdrop of a war, and always has something happening. But truth be told, I felt it is driven more by the characters’ hunger for revenge, notions of enmity and ultimately, their respective destinies. Thirteen years before the timeline of the story, Silva betrayed Lester and used the riches from what became their last haul to propel himself to power and prominence. Having spent years wandering across the length and breath of America, an unexpected intersection of their lives ignites a rivalry and Lester plots Silva’s downfall. The remainder of the story deals with how this turns out but rather strangely, I found myself unable to root for any of the characters while reading. There is, however, no vanquisher-vanquished scenario at the close of the narrative which is probably for the best. 

Given that a gamut of themes are dealt with in the novel, certain fragments seemed slightly disconnected to me in the beginning, but were tied together beautifully, with nearly zilch loopholes, later on. Cynical as I tried to be, I wasn't able to figure out any inconsistencies or logical fallacies. This was extremely satisfying and honestly, I didn't mind being proved wrong.  

The narrative I thought is consistently fast paced, and you get a clear picture of who the main characters are, from early on. On the whole, it was a satisfying and riveting read, and left me wanting more. Isn't that the point of a good book, really? So I recommend you- whoever you are reading this- to read ‘The Fated Sunset’ at the earliest. Trust me, you wont regret it. 

Comments

Popular Posts